Sunday, August 17, 2008

il headache...

Last weekend, DJC and I checked out a place in Oakland called The Wine Mine. The medium-sized wine warehouse is run by a very knowledgeable and friendly guy named David, who is totally happy to talk shop with patrons all day. This place is a hidden (literally!) gem in the Temescal area.

On Saturdays, they have $1 tastings...meaning, you plunk your dollar in a tin can and then get to try at least five different wines. Last weekend, the theme for the tasting was "Summer Sparklers". Usually, I'm not so into the sparkling wines, but I figured I'd give it a go. Amazingly, I found something I liked...it's called "Il Rosé" and it comes in the most peculiar bottle. Here, have a look-see:

No, you're not imagining things...it does indeed have a bottle cap top. No cork. Once opened, it has to be finished.

David only had a few bottles left after the tasting and so when I contacted him last week, I asked him to put however many he could aside for me to pick up this weekend. On Saturday, DJC and I swung by to collect my three bottles of wine...but we also stayed for the $1 tasting, this time the theme being "Asian Food Pairings". YUM!

Anywho, earlier this morning, I sludged my way through the most difficult kickboxing class EVAR, and then endured the supermarket...all before actually eating anything. When we got home, DJC cracked open one bottle of the "Il" to enjoy with our lunch. As expected, he was not a fan, and I liked it more than the first time I tried it. So, aside from about a glass and a half, the duty of not wasting all the yumminess fell to me. It went down well. But then I remembered why I don't drink sparkling wines...

Holy lord in heaven, I had the worst headache I think I've ever had. And I'm not just saying that. I couldn't do anything but faceplant in bed and try to sleep it off. Total epic fail on my part. Only copious amounts of water could stop the chorus of sledgehammers in my head.

Thankfully, all's well now. I still have two bottles, so I think I will be taking both to Lucky_girl's baby shower (when that get rescheduled) for everyone to enjoy a glass or two. It really was quite good....just not in the amount that I downed today. Ooof!

3 comments:

Amisk8er said...

HAHA I LOVE IT! On the bottle it says: "The Gentle-Sparkling Wine" and in your post it says: "Holy lord in heaven, I had the worst headache I think I've ever had." HAHA too funny...

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

And you call yourself a hockey fan? Lightweight wuss! LOL :)

I joke, no offence intended as I've had massive headaches from the sparkling stuff myself... OUCH!

The Enforcer said...

Awww, c'mon Dave! You give me a stiff shot of vodka (or four) and I'm solid! I don't know what it is about sparkling wines, but *this* hockey fan cannot handle them in large quantities.

Come to think of it, do hockey and sparkling wines even go together? Its like being able to get a glass of Pinot at a Giants game! Blasphemy! At the very least, an unlikely pairing for sure.

GOOD LORD, it's almost hockey season! Bring on the hot dogs, nachos, pretzels and BEER!!! =)