Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm just sayin'...

We were lucky...last night, me, DJC, Lucky_girl, M and Miss E and boyfriend each had a ticket to the hottest game in town: The Sharks vs. the Detroit Red Wings. I'm tellin' you, the game was EPIC. I don't think I've ever cheered as much at a sporting event before, which is really saying something. And sitting in a heavily populated Detroit section made all that cheering even more enjoyable. Totally amazing experience. But, here's the thing that bothered me a little...

Between periods, there is a seventeen minute intermission during which most fans leave their seats in search of beer, nachos, hot dogs and other dee-lish game-time treats. But, choosing to do so comes at the cost of one's personal space. Seriously...it's all assholes and elbows in the lobby area. Unless my bladder forces me to move, I generally avoid the masses. Lucky_girl and I stayed put in our seats during one of the intermissions so we could catch up, tell stories, and laugh (because, damn, it's been a while). It was then I noticed that nearly everyone sitting around us and in front of us was playing some sort of game on their iPhone or iPod Touch. The folks not playing games were checking emails and text messages. People sitting right next to each other, not talking, engrossed in the technology. WTF?

As a society, have we gotten to the point where we MUST be entertained and visually stimulated every second? What ever happened to good, old fashioned conversation? Why actually turn to talk to the person you've come to the game with when you can just send a text message instead? Ya dig?

No comments: