Friday, August 8, 2008

Misc.

Lately, I've seen the word "bereft" misused on several very well-know websites by several very well-known fame-whores bloggers. As a result of their misuse, their commenters have started misusing it as well, because, really, who thinks for themselves anymore? Let's clarify, shall we?

First and foremost, "bereft" IS NOT a synonym for "upset", mmmmkay? You can't be bereft because your favorite reality TV star got voted off, nor can you be bereft because you didn't win a t-shirt in a silly online contest. Got it? Good.

Now that we've got that out of the way. So, what does it mean, then? Well, according to Dictionary.com:
be·reft: –adjective
2. deprived

Here are two examples of how to use it correctly in a sentence: They are bereft of their senses. He is bereft of all happiness.
After someone (who will remain nameless) recently made it blatantly clear to me just how irritating grammar snobs can be, I've tried to let simple errors slide. But when a word has changed meanings thanks to the blogosphere, I have to say something.

Moving on...YAY for Joshua winning SYTYCD! Double YAY for Twitch finishing second. And I don't care what the judges said:



Phillip Chbeeb won that battle. Periodendofstory. Love ya, Phillip! Call me! We'll do lunch!

That concludes your SYTYCD coverage until next season. Whew!

One of these days, I'll get around to the Batman villains post. I promise. LOL!

BRING ON THE OLYMPICS! Both the DVR and my schedule are cleared and I'm ready to consume mass quantities of the awesomest sporting competition on Earth. Woot!

Have a great Friday and an even better weekend! Peace!!

No comments: