Monday, June 16, 2008

Awesomest Convo EVAR!

On Friday night, DJC and I were sitting outside at Fenton's enjoying the largest "single" scoop of Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch known to man (It was more like four scoops), when I heard a female voice say:

"I love it when she says, 'It's your....jiddges!', Hee- hee! Jiddges!" According to DJC, her boyfriend couldn't have been less interested.

My head snapped around and I immediately struck up a conversation with this random Cat Deeley lover and HUGE fan of SYTYCD. We discussed our early favorite dancers (we both love Will), which numbers we liked, and whether or not the "jiddges" sent the correct people home. We continued to chatter away, while our respective boyfriends looked on in astonished wonderment. I had no idea who this person was, and yet she and I carried on and on about our favorite show like we'd known each other for years.

Eventually, the couple's pager lit up to indicate their table was ready and they headed inside. I'm not usually one to strike up a conversation with strangers, but such is my obsession with SYTYCD that I couldn't help myself. Actually, I think it's great that two strangers can share a pleasant conversation over a TV show. SYTYCD unites the masses! YAY!

(Oh, and the ice cream was some of the best we've ever had from Fenton's. If you're in the area and in need of something sweet and perfect, you *must* go!)

My mom and I also had an interesting conversation about the show as well. At last night's BBQ, the subject of the first round dismissal of Rayvyn and Jamie came up again. She had an excellent point when she said that she doesn't think *anyone* should be eliminated in the first week. It's just too soon and we (the viewers) really don't get to know enough about the dancers and what they're capable of (since we didn't see most of them during the Vegas auditions). Even though this is the 4th season that I've been watching the show, I'd never thought of that. But, as always, my ma's right. I'd like to see at least one week of performances from the newly formed couples before anyone gets eliminated.

Regardless of the flawed format, I love that my mom calls me on Wednesday night to talk about the dances. Then she calls me on Thursday to discuss the eliminations. I think it's great that, despite the generational gaps that exist between my mother and myself, we can still find some common TV ground that keeps us in contact. Hooray for SYTYCD!

1 comment:

Pyggme said...

I totally agree - they should give the couples a break the first week, like they do on "Dancing with the stars" (well at least they do that in the Swedish version!). It would be more fair since there's always some dancers who we've hardly even seen during auditions.

I love Cat too :)