So. You ever hear a new song on the radio and then over the course of a week, hear that same song at least fifty more times? Have you ever wondered why exactly that song is so popular? Is it because the radio powers that be say so? The influence that mainstream media has over its consumers is a funny thing. I know I've found myself thinking that I like certain types of music just because the radio tells me they're popular, only to find that I don't really enjoy the songs at all once I give them a good listen (Green Day is a prime example of this). The same thing goes for TV shows, TV personalities and movies.
Here's a quick run-down of all things pop culture that I know I'm supposed to like because every other human on the face of the Earth does, but I'm just not in to:
1. Bob Marley: I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Try as I might, I can't stand reggae.
1.5. Jack Johnson: Popular surf rock? Seriously? The Beach Boys also fall into this category.
2. Nirvana: Don't understand why its so cool to like Nirvana. Dave Grohl is excluded from this discussion. I (heart) the Foo Fighters. Like, lots.
3. Oprah Winfrey: Good lord. So obnoxious. Throw your money around, crazy lady.
4. Forrest Gump: People LOVE this movie and I totally HATED IT.
5. Martha Stewart/Rachael Ray/Regis and Kelly: Ick. Ick. Ick. Kill me now.
On the other hand, though, there are certain things about pop culture I cannot get enough of. I know it's wrong, but I can't help it. Sometimes I feel a little dirty (Ok, not really, but you get the picture).
1. Bobby Flay: Ugh, I KNOW! But damn it, I love that guy! I just watched an episode of Throwdown! where he takes on a Philadelphia lady in a mac-n-cheese battle. I am now inordinately hungry.
2. The Hills: MTV hit pop culture gold with Lauren Conrad and all her Hollywood drama. Deee-lish, it is!
So very strange, this whole idea of liking something just because it's cool to do so, no? Ever happened to you? What is it about pop culture that you can't stand despite the fact that every media outlet is telling you that you should?