Thursday, January 29, 2009

I was doing so well...

I don't know what happened. For the last 28 days, I had been eating really healthy and hitting the gym consistently for at least an hour each time. I was starting to see results. All was well.

And then today came along, and the wheels done falled off the bus, ya'll. The alarm went off at 8:15am and I figured that I had plenty of time to make it to the 9am CORE class. Apparently, I turned the alarm off and the next thing I knew, it was 10am. I say that I apparently turned off the alarm because I don't remember doing it and am convinced that the gnome that lives under the bed and steals one of each of my socks did it. In any case, I was stuck in a super-sleepy haze for the rest of the day. I really felt like everything I did was in slo-mo.

Then there's the lunch issue. I meant to eat some lean protein and maybe some vegetables. Instead, I found myself at Arizmendi Bakery, where I saw myself reach into the cases containing freshly baked, fragrant breads and rolls again and again. Yep, I went on a full-throttle, break-neck bread bender. I left the bakery with one cheese roll, one corn muffin and one chocolate Thing. It wasn't pretty. By the time I got to class thirty minutes later, I had consumed the entire corn muffin and half of the cheese roll. I came back for the chocolate Thing two hours after that.

Today is DJC's birthday. He and a coworker hit up The Trappist for a few celebratory beers and I joined them after class. As I've gotten older, I've found that I can't really handle drinking beer anymore. I jsut feel so bloated. Well, today I decided to have a huge, refreshing glass of Allagash White (basically, a Belgian witbeir...like I know what that means...DJC is the resident beer snob). I was very full when we left, but seeing as that I had only eaten various breads for lunch, real food sounded like a good idea.

We walked next door to Tamarindo, which neither of us had ever tried before. We ordered SO. MUCH. FOOD. I know I should have stopped after the third round of tapas showed up, but my god, all of the food was SO AMAZING, I just couldn't stop. Now, I'm sitting on the couch, shifting uncomfortably from side to side, wishing that I would have stopped when my tummy told me to. Holy ooof.

Today redefines over-doing it in every sense of the word for me. Too much sleep, too much bread, too much beer, and no matter how freaking delicious it was (and believe you me, it WAS), too much Tamarindo. I'm supposed to take a 90 minute combo kickboxing/dance/yoga class tomorrow morning. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

Here are a few pics from earlier, in case you want to see parts of my gluttonous day:

I think it's safe to say I'll be eating salads and drinking water for the next few days until I detox. Because, damn, I seriously fell off the wagon today.

2 comments:

Arvay said...

Oh c'mon! It's ONE day! That's not falling off the wagon; that's called a "break," of which you deserve one now and then. :)

By the way, there is no such thing as too much sleep!

onthemountain said...

Whoa, you are so disciplined. I ate cheesecake before my race, just because it was here at the house. Drank two cups of coffee and then had to pee during my 2nd time trial. Ick. Off to the mountain again today, just goofing off online before I head out.