Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Core Challenge and Therapy

A few days ago, I joined my local gym for their free June promotion, because as much as I loooooove running (read: not at all), I find that I am lacking the motivation and discipline to do it more than a few times a week. Maybe that's because I hate every mile. Hmmm...

Anyways, I took my first group class yesterday afternoon. At only thirty minutes long, it seemed fairly innocuous. The name of the class should have clued me in to the fact that it'd be anything but. Foolishly, I chose to enter the world of Amelia's CORE Challenge. Maybe it's just me, but when I am lying on my back, with my shoulders off of the ground, hands outstretched over my head, and an oversized exercise ball between my knees, the last thing I need to hear is bubbly Amelia singing along to "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard", but that's a story for another time...

I've had lower back problems since I was a teenager. I've always attributed these problems to weak core musculature. For a while, when I had several hours a day to devote to exercise, I was doing pretty well. I felt strong, tight and thin. Of course, BT will tell you that I was also a sucky person because I wasn't really eating, but again, that's a story for another time...

After yesterday, I'm not so proud to announce that my core muscles are still weak and VERY sore today. Every time I take a breath, I am reminded that I need to go to this class every damn time it's offered. (OMG, I just sneezed twice in a row! Holy bloody F*CK!) Core strength is important for those with chronic back issues, and clearly, I need to work on it.

DeKap and I are supposed to run the Alta Plaza steps later today. Eeek.

On another, more positive note, when I do manage to get off my arse and run, I am LOVING the sounds of Therapy Sessions Volume 4 mixed by Limewax. I know DJC will cringe when I say this, but I'm totally impressed with Limewax, both as a DJ and a producer. He's only 20 and has consistently cranked out amazing tracks and mixsets since he was a teenager. His style continues to push drum n' bass forward and keep it current. Anyways, Therapy Sessions: It's dark, rough, and gets the adrenaline flowing when I need it. I am especially loving SPL's unreleased "Reckoning". MAN, that track pumps me up! I know hard dnb is tough sell with most readers here, but if you're in the mood for something different, find this one. It's siiiiiick!

No comments: